We’ve all heard of CBD, but did you know that there are over one hundred similar compounds found in hemp that may be beneficial for health and wellness?
Cannabinoids like CBD are considered hemp extracts, as they must undergo several processes to be extracted, or separated, from the hemp cannabis plant. Using either CO2 or Ethanol extraction, manufacturers remove these cannabinoids and other hemp components like terpenes to yield a raw material product that is loaded with phytonutrients. During the CBD extraction process, cannabinoids like cannabinol (CBN), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabichromene (CBC) are also removed from the hemp plant.
These cannabinoids are sometimes isolated into individual crystalline powders, but most clinical study researchers agree that keeping them all together and blending them into CBD oils and other products may yield the most beneficial results because of a scientific concept known as the “entourage effect.” The entourage effect describes health and wellness benefits that result from multiple compounds working together.
Hemp extract products that use the entire spectrum of cannabinoids and other compounds found in hemp are known as full spectrum blends. So, even though a particular hemp product you are buying may be called a “full spectrum CBD oil,” it contains a whole lot more than just the active ingredient known as cannabidiol. Full spectrum CBD products from Cannabiva (https://www.cannabiva.com/), for example, are loaded with multiple cannabinoids and over 20 aromatic terpenes, all of which contribute to the CBD oil’s many benefits to support emotional wellness and mental health.
Potential Health Advantages
The therapeutic properties of full spectrum hemp extracts have been widely studied in recent years. Scientists have identified a number of potential advantages to taking these products, including:
- Anxiety Relief: CBD present in hemp extract may help reduce anxiety by impacting serotonin levels, which play a crucial role in mood disorders. ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/ )
- Sleep Quality Improvement: For those struggling with insomnia or other sleep-related issues, hemp extract might be an effective solution because it can regulate sleep patterns. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/)
- Mood Balance: Clinical research shows that cannabinoid therapies enhance and boost mood and may help those suffering from some types of depressive symptoms.
- Cognitive Function Enhancement: Research indicates that cannabinoids found in hemp extracts could enhance cognitive function. This includes improving focus and memory retention while reducing brain fog.
Nature is a powerhouse of healing, and hemp extracts are a prime example.
Many of those who could benefit from the use of hemp extracts may be hesitant due to the psychoactive nature of the popular cannabinoid THC. While this cannabinoid is quite beneficial from a health standpoint, it is also intoxicating and avoided by many.
THC’s effects have left many wondering if other cannabinoids will also leave them feeling high. But the truth is, most of the other cannabinoids, especially those discussed below, are not psychoactive at all, so taking them won’t leave you with the same feelings as THC.
These other cannabinoids bind to receptor sites in the endocannabinoid system of the human body and interact with parts of our central nervous system. They activate neurotransmitters, send pain and stress response signals, block pain sensations, and even enhance cognitive functioning.
CBD, for example, has been widely studied and shown in thousands of patients to improve quality of life by relieving stress, anxiety, and sleep problems. It may also enhance mood by interacting with certain neurotransmitters in the central nervous system.
In addition to CBD, the most well-researched cannabinoids include CBN, CBG and CBC.
- Cannabinol (CBN): Known for its sedative effects, CBN may help to relieve anxiety and improve sleep quality.
- Cannabigerol (CBG): CBG shows promise in combating inflammation and pain relief. It is also believed that CBG’s effects on the central nervous system may relieve stress and nervousness associated with anxiety.
- Cannabichromene (CBC): CBC might play a role in promoting brain health due to its neuroprotective properties.
These cannabinoids, when combined as isolates or taken in a full spectrum CBD oil, may act synergistically to amplify the potential therapeutic effects.
Nature’s Answer To Wellness?
Hemp extracts have gained popularity as people increasingly seek natural alternatives over conventional medicine. They have fewer side effects compared with traditional medications and potentially improved overall wellness through regular use.
When first beginning full spectrum CBD supplementation, be sure to start with lower doses of 25 mg to 50 mg of cannabidiol for the first several days. See how your body responds and if you experience no side effects or adverse events, you can increase your dosage. The average dose for CBD is about 0.5 milligrams of cannabidiol per pound of body weight per day. You can take up to 1.5 milligrams per pound, but be sure to work your way up to this level over time rather than starting with such a high amount right from the get-go.
Keep in mind that mental and emotional health are multi-faceted and there is not single “cure” for anxiety or depression that you may be experiencing. Combine hemp extract therapies with a treatment program overseen by your healthcare provider.