Kegel exercises, once primarily associated with women’s health, have gained recognition for their immense benefits for men as well. These simple yet powerful exercises target the pelvic floor muscles and offer a range of advantages that can significantly improve men’s overall well-being and sexual health.
This article delves into the numerous benefits of Kegel exercises for men, shedding light on why they are worth incorporating into a regular fitness routine.
What are Kegel exercises?
Kegel exercises, also known as pelvic floor exercises, are a series of exercises designed to strengthen and tone the muscles of the pelvic floor. The pelvic floor muscles are a group of muscles that support the pelvic organs, including the bladder, uterus (in women), and rectum.
What are the benefits of Kegel exercises for men?
Similar to any other muscle, consistently and correctly exercising the pelvic floor muscles enhances their strength, enabling them to function more effectively and reliably.
Potential benefits of Kegel exercises for men comprise:
- Enhancement of bowel and bladder control
- Assistance in controlling flatulence
- Prevention of urine and stool leakage
- Facilitation of complete bladder emptying
- Aid in achieving erections
- Help in preventing premature ejaculation
How to perform Kegel exercises for men?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to get started:
- Locate the appropriate muscles: To identify your pelvic floor muscles, pause the flow of urine midway or contract the muscles that prevent passing gas. These actions engage your pelvic floor muscles. Once you’ve pinpointed them, you can perform the exercises in any position, although starting off lying down might be the easiest.
- Master the technique: Tighten your pelvic floor muscles, maintain the contraction for three seconds, and then relax for three seconds. Repeat this sequence several times in a row. As your muscles become stronger, attempt doing Kegel exercises while sitting, standing, or even walking.
- Maintain focus: For optimal results, concentrate solely on contracting your pelvic floor muscles. Be cautious not to tense the muscles in your abdomen, thighs, or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath; instead, breathe naturally throughout the exercises.
- Repeat three times daily: Aim for a minimum of three sets consisting of 10 repetitions each day.
Can Kegel exercises enhance sexual performance in men?
Strengthening the pelvic floor muscles can have positive effects on sexual performance in the following ways:
- Improved erection hardness: Kegel exercises promote healthy blood flow to the pelvic region, which is crucial for achieving harder erections.
- Delayed ejaculation: By training the pelvic floor muscles to contract on command, Kegel exercises can help with controlling and delaying ejaculations. It is important to seek guidance from a healthcare professional for specific techniques if this is the primary goal.
- Increased pleasure during sex: Good blood circulation in the groin area, facilitated by strong pelvic floor muscles, contributes to heightened pleasure during sexual activity.
- Increased number of orgasms: Strengthening the pelvic floor muscles can potentially lead to an increase in the number or intensity of orgasms experienced by men.
In addition to Kegel exercises, there are other ways to enhance sexual performance:
- Lifestyle changes: Making positive lifestyle choices such as quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, adopting a low-cholesterol diet, and engaging in regular exercise are associated with better erections and overall sexual performance.
- Medical Review: It is important to consult with a doctor to assess and address any underlying medical conditions or medication-related factors that may contribute to erection problems.
- Medications: PDE-5 inhibitors like Vidalista 20, which contains Tadalafil, can enhance blood flow to the groin, improving the firmness and duration of erections.
- Devices: Devices such as penis rings or penis pumps can promote blood flow to the penis, potentially enhancing erections.
- Counseling: Psychosexual or couples counselling can be beneficial in addressing psychological or relationship factors that may contribute to or exacerbate erectile dysfunction (ED) symptoms.
It is important to discuss these options with a healthcare professional to determine the most suitable approach for individual circumstances.
Tips for maximizing the pros of Kegel exercises
Here are some suggestions to enhance the effectiveness of your Kegel exercises:
- Breathe naturally and avoid breath-holding during the exercises.
- Contract the muscles from back to front, pulling them inward and upward.
- Refrain from squeezing or tensing the buttock, thigh, or abdominal muscles.
- Avoid raising your eyebrows, shoulders, or toes while performing the exercises.
- Explore different positions, such as standing or squatting, as you become more proficient.
- With consistent practice, your pelvic floor strength will gradually improve over time. You should experience increased control over interrupting or holding urine, but this should not be incorporated into a regular exercise routine.
Men who encounter difficulties in locating their pelvic floor muscles should consult their doctor. Healthcare professionals can provide referrals to physiotherapists or continence advisors who specialize in guiding individuals through these exercises.
The National Health Service (NHS) of the United Kingdom also recommends a pelvic floor exercise app designed specifically for men working with specialists to address concerns like premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, and urinary incontinence.
How to determine if you are performing Kegels correctly?
When practising Kegel exercises, it is important to note that they should not cause any discomfort. If you experience pain in your abdomen, lower back, or head after performing Kegels, it is likely that you are either holding your breath or engaging the wrong muscles.
If you are having difficulty locating your pelvic floor muscles or if you experience pain and discomfort, it is advisable to seek assistance from a healthcare provider who can provide guidance.
When Kegels are performed correctly, you should gradually notice improvements in your symptoms over several weeks. For instance, you may observe a decrease in urine leakage frequency.
How long does it take to notice results from Kegel exercises?
The timeframe for seeing results from Kegel exercises can vary from person to person, as it depends on various factors, including the individual’s starting point, consistency of practice, and overall muscle strength. While some individuals may notice improvements relatively quickly, others may require several weeks or even months to experience noticeable changes. It is important to approach Kegel exercises with patience and persistence, as consistent practice is key to achieving optimal results.
While male Kegel exercises are not widely discussed, they offer significant benefits. These exercises for premature ejaculation can be particularly helpful in addressing concerns related to urinary continence, as well as difficulties in achieving and sustaining erections.
If men encounter challenges while performing Kegel exercises or their issues persist despite regular practice, it is advisable to seek medical guidance. Consulting a doctor can lead to a referral to specialized professionals who can provide further assistance with these exercises and offer additional guidance tailored to individual needs. Open communication and seeking appropriate support are essential steps toward optimizing the benefits of male Kegel exercises.