Poor posture can lead to discomfort, and muscle strain, and exacerbate common pregnancy-related issues. Therefore, maintaining a good sitting posture during pregnancy is essential for the well-being of both the expectant mother and her growing baby. However, it takes constant mindfulness to follow a healthy sitting posture.
By adopting proper ergonomics and practicing posture awareness, you can alleviate discomfort and promote optimal spinal alignment. Getting your hands on any of the best chairs for pregnancy can also help you a great deal in maintaining a healthy posture when sitting.
Having said that, in this article, we will explore the benefits of good sitting posture during pregnancy and provide practical tips for achieving and maintaining it.
Which Types of Chairs Suit Pregnant Women The Most?
Although traditional ergonomic office chairs are considered a great option for keeping one’s body comfortable, there are many other alternatives as well. For instance, kneeling chairs. Studies have shown that a seating angle of 20 to 30 degrees is best to maintain the standing lumbar curvature of a person. Sadly, that’s missing in normal ergonomic office chairs or standard computer chairs. Therefore, pregnant women should pay attention to the benefits of kneeling chairs.
Even within ergonomic chairs, you should pick wisely. Always go for chairs offering multiple adjustability options such as seat height and depth adjustability, armrest adjustability, footrest and headrest adjustments, and recline mechanism. All of this will help you adjust your chair as per your comfort preferences and not the other way around.
How to Sit Correctly During Pregnancy?
Given the bodily needs of pregnant women, it’s important to know that sitting posture matters a lot. They just can’t sit like everybody else as it won’t help them stay comfortable while sitting and will lead to long-term issues.
So, here is how expectant women should sit on an office chair:
- Don’t slouch or lean back excessively. Try to be as active as possible when sitting.
- Choose an office chair with good lumbar support or use a cushion to support the lower back. Here some people get confused as to where lumbar support should be adjusted in an office chair. To be specific, it should be placed in the lower back area as its main purpose is to provide back support.
- Place both feet flat on the floor to provide stability and avoid crossing the legs for extended periods.
- Set the chair height so that your knees are at a 90-degree angle and your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- If your feet don’t reach the floor comfortably, use a footrest to provide support.
- Crossing your legs can reduce blood circulation, so keep your legs uncrossed and your knees in line with your hips.
- Avoid hunching your shoulders forward or tensing them up. Keep them relaxed and slightly pulled back.
- Regularly take short breaks to stand up, walk around, and stretch your body to relieve any discomfort or stiffness.
- If your chair has armrests, use them to support your arms, but make sure they don’t restrict your movement or cause discomfort.
- Consider using a cushion or a small pillow to support your lower back or provide additional comfort as needed.
Benefits of Good Sitting Posture During Pregnancy
There are many benefits of sitting properly during pregnancy days, such as:
Maintaining a good sitting posture during pregnancy offers enhanced comfort and reduces strain on the body. Proper alignment of the spine minimizes pressure on the back, neck, and shoulders, preventing musculoskeletal pain and discomfort. By distributing body weight evenly, correct posture reduces strain on specific areas, promoting comfort.
Improved Blood Circulation and Digestion
Good sitting posture improves circulation and digestion during pregnancy. Optimal spinal alignment enhances blood flow to the uterus and placenta, supporting healthy fetal development. It prevents compression of blood vessels, reducing the risk of swollen legs and feet. Additionally, maintaining good posture aids in healthy digestion, alleviating common pregnancy-related digestive issues.
Alleviation of Common Pregnancy Discomforts
Maintaining a good sitting posture helps alleviate common pregnancy discomforts. By adopting the correct posture, pregnant women can reduce backaches, pelvic pain, and sciatic nerve discomfort. Good posture also minimizes pressure on the abdominal region, alleviating heartburn and acid reflux. Optimal spinal alignment supports proper breathing, reducing shortness of breath and enhancing overall comfort.
In sum, maintaining good sitting posture during pregnancy is crucial for the comfort and well-being of both the expectant mother and the developing baby. So, always choose your office chair with due diligence and prioritize good posture.
Also, remember to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance on maintaining good posture throughout pregnancy. With conscious effort and proper care, expectant mothers can experience greater comfort, reduce discomfort, and promote a healthier pregnancy journey.
Get an early pregnant scan: https://thescanclinic.co.uk/scan/early-pregnancy-scan/