Your skin is the largest and heaviest organ of your body. So, it serves many vital functions.
To begin, it doesn’t only shield you from external elements like heat, cold, germs, and harmful substances. It is also acts an indicator of your overall well-being.
For example, things like changes to skin color or texture can often be indicative of underlying medical conditions. Now, when it comes to addressing skin concerns that affect your appearance, a dermatologist is the medical professional to turn to. See the specializations and skills of your dermatologist in Singapore on this page: https://thedermclinic.com.sg/our-doctor/.
Dermatologists possess the expertise to diagnose and treat various conditions. These include; hair loss, dark spots, and wrinkles. And what’s more, many dermatologists are skilled in administering cosmetic procedures like fillers, chemical peels, and laser hair removal.
Do Dermatologists Help with Acne?
Dermatologists play a crucial role in helping individuals with acne. To accurately diagnose and determine the specific type of acne you’re having, your dermatologist in Singapore will thoroughly examine your breakouts.
They need this detailed assessment to develop the most effective treatment plan tailored to your needs. A thorough assessment for suspected acne is also important because even though acne is a common condition, there are other skin conditions that can resemble acne but require different treatment approaches.
Hidradenitis suppurativa, also known as acne inversa, for example is a condition often mistaken for acne. And its treatment differs from that of traditional acne.
Similarly, perioral dermatitis can cause acne-like breakouts around the mouth, creating potential confusion. So, if you suspect that you have acne, your best bet would be to see a board-certified dermatologist in Singapore.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re dealing with stubborn acne or a condition that mimics acne. A qualified dermatologist is best placed to accurately diagnose your condition and develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your unique situation.
Thanks to their specialized knowledge, dermatologists can offer valuable insights. They can also help you achieve clearer and healthier skin.
How do Dermatologists get rid of Acne?
Dermatologists employ various approaches to effectively treat acne, tailoring the treatment plan to individual considerations. Determining the type of acne, its location, previous treatments, the duration of breakouts, age, and the presence of dark spots or scars are crucial factors in developing an appropriate plan.
For whiteheads or blackheads, topical acne medications are commonly prescribed. Treatment options may include retinoids alone.
Also, your dermatologist in Singapore may combine them with benzoyl peroxide, azelaic acid, or salicylic acid. For mild to moderate pimples topical medications like benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, azelaic acid, or a combination of benzoyl peroxide with a retinoid or topical antibiotic should help.
In cases where breakouts persist specifically, in women, medication like a birth control pill approved for acne treatment or the birth control patch may be recommended alongside other medications. Deep and painful acne nodules and cysts require comprehensive treatment to prevent scarring.
Approaches may include applying prescription medications topically along with oral antibiotics. Hormonal therapy for women, or isotretinoin, a medication specifically approved for severe acne may also help.
In certain cases, additional interventions may be suggested to enhance treatment outcomes. Laser or light therapy, when used in combination with other acne treatments has shown effectiveness in clearing acne.
For large and painful breakouts, corticosteroid injections can provide rapid relief, but this treatment is reserved for severe cases due to potential side effects. You may also be advised to maintain a healthy diet as a complementary measure for achieving clearer skin.
For optimal results, be sure to adhere to your dermatologist’s prescribed treatment plan. You must also not overlook follow-up appointments.
Follow-up treatments are particularly stressed upon as untreated acne can persist for years. When your acne persists, the dermatologists may recommend a different treatment plan.
This may involve the application of a combination medication. Typically, this medication may contain benzoyl peroxide and a retinoid if you have an acne-prone skin. If prescribed, you’d need to apply this medication daily.
How long does it take for Acne to clear up after seeing a Dermatologist?
The timeframe for acne to clear up isn’t the same. During your consultation for acne treatment, your dermatologist may give an estimate of how long it may take for it to clear fully.
The difference in timeframe for acne to clear up depends on individual factors. Also, its severity at the time of considering treatment will influence how long it takes to clear up.
Generally though, if the treatment is effective, you should notice some results within six to eight weeks. To achieve complete clearing though you may need to wait for about three to four months.
Note that each person’s response to treatment is unique. That’s why some individuals may experience faster or slower improvement.
If there are no visible changes in the condition after six to eight weeks, inform your dermatologist in Singapore. They will reassess the situation, and adjust the treatment plan if needed.
Alternatively, they may explore alternative options to effectively address acne. Once your acne is successfully treated, you will need to maintain a healthy skin regimen.
This will be crucial in preventing future breakouts and most importantly, promoting overall skin health. That said, here are some of the things your dermatologist may advise for or against after your acne treatment:
- Consistent skincare routine: Establish a regular skincare routine. It should include cleansing the skin twice a day. Use a gentle cleanser suitable for your skin type. Also, stick to non-comedogenic and oil-free products. This is essential to avoid clogging pores. Most importantly, moisturize your skin daily to keep it hydrated.
- Protection from the sun: Apply broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day to shield your skin from harmful UV rays. Use the sunscreen even during cloudy days. Sun protection is vital as some acne treatments can increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
- Avoid picking or popping pimples: Resist the temptation to pick or pop pimples. This habit can be damaging if you’re prone to acne. It can lead to inflammation, scarring, and potential infection. Instead, allow any blemishes to heal naturally. Alternatively, just consult your dermatologist for appropriate treatment options.
- Healthy lifestyle habits: Maintain a balanced diet. It should be rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Also, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. It would also be best to adopt a regular exercise regimen, manage your stress levels, and get sufficient sleep. All these contribute to overall well-being, which reflects on the skin.
- Regular follow-ups with a dermatologist: It doesn’t really matter whether you’ve already achieved a clear skin. Still, maintain regular follow-up appointments with your dermatologist in Singapore. These follow-ups allow them to monitor your skin’s health. It also makes it easy to address any concerns that may arise promptly and provide guidance on maintaining optimal skin conditions.
Dermatologists are the rights specialists for acne. So, if you’ve struggled with acne for an extended period, make arrangements to see one.
We prioritize attention to detail and offer custom-tailored acne treatments in Singapore. If you want to experience personalized care for clear, healthy skin, contact us today to book your appointment. Call or visit us at;
The Dermatology Clinic
321 Joo Chiat Pl,
#05-01A Parkway East Specialist Hospital,
+65 6320 0310