When you lose a tooth, eating your favorite foods can be stressful. And what’s more, it might even make you feel self-conscious about your smile. That’s where dental implants come in!
They are like special tools that your doctor may place inside your jaw to help you chew food properly. They can also make your smile look good.
They are small, but can greatly improve your quality of life especially if you have missing teeth. When you visit a dental implant clinic in Orchard for this treatment, your dentist would carefully put the implants into your jawbone.
These implants act as strong foundations for replacement teeth that look and feel real. They can support different things like crowns, bridges, or dentures. Just in case you want to know, crowns are the individual fake teeth, bridges connect multiple fake teeth and dentures are removable sets of fake teeth.
Is it Better to Save a Tooth or Get an Implant?
Let’s face it, if you have a severely damaged or decayed tooth, deciding between saving the tooth or opting for a dental implant in Singapore can be challenging. So, it helps to fully understand what the procedure involves. That said, here’s what you need to know;
Dental Implant or a Root Canal Therapy?
Dental Implants: Dental implants offer a long-lasting solution for the replacement of severely damaged or missing teeth. When correctly placed, these implants provide a stable foundation for artificial teeth. Here are the notable benefits:
- Durability: Implants are designed to last for several years. In fact, with proper care and maintenance they should last a lifetime.
- Improved oral function: Implants restore your ability to chew and speak properly. This means that correctly placed, you should be able to enjoy your favorite foods and communicate with confidence.
- Natural appearance: Dental implants bear a striking resemblance to the natural teeth. This means that you can rest assured that they will blend seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
Root Canal Therapy: Root canal therapy is a dental procedure to save a damaged or infected tooth. The process involves removing the infected pulp within the tooth. Your dentist would then clean the root canal and seal it to prevent further infection. Root canal therapy offers several advantages, including:
- Preservation of natural teeth: Since this procedure saves the natural tooth, you maintain the integrity of your dental arch. And what’s more, you also prevent potential issues with neighboring teeth.
- Cost-effective: Root canal therapy is generally more affordable than dental implants. It may be a more budget-friendly option, depending on your unique needs.
- Faster treatment time: Compared to dental implants, root canal therapy typically requires fewer appointments and a shorter recovery period. So, it presents a shorter treatment timeline.
So, Should I Save the Tooth or Place an Implant?
To begin with, saving a natural tooth is always preferred. But, there are situations where your dentist may recommend getting a dental implant as the best solution to restore your oral health and enhance your quality of life.
Here’s the twist; just like other health issues, deciding whether to save your tooth or get an implant on your own isn’t easy.
Each case is unique, and it is crucial to consult with a skilled dentist for personalized advice. Here are a few reasons why you may want to opt for a dental implant in Singapore;
- Restoring Full Functionality: Dental implants offer a remarkable advantage in restoring the full functionality of your mouth. When a tooth is severely damaged or decayed, it can hinder your ability to chew properly. This would affect your overall nutrition and digestion. Dental implants provide a sturdy foundation for artificial teeth, allowing you to bite and chew just like you would with your natural teeth.
- Long-term Durability: One of the most significant advantages of getting your dental implant in Singapore is their durability. Dental implants are designed to be a permanent solution. This is unlike other dental restorations like bridges or dentures. With proper care and maintenance, they can last a lifetime. This means that you would eliminate the need for frequent replacements. This durability ensures a stable and functional bite and offers peace of mind, knowing that your dental restoration will endure the test of time.
- Preserving Jawbone Health: When a tooth is lost, the underlying jawbone can start deteriorating over time. Dental implants address this concern by integrating with the jawbone through osseointegration. This integration helps stimulate the bone, preventing bone loss and preserving its strength and density. So a dental implant can help you maintain the natural structure of your jaw and prevent the sunken appearance that can occur with missing teeth.
- Natural Look and Feel: Dental implants provide a natural look and feel that closely resembles your original teeth. The crown or artificial tooth attached to the implant is custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your existing teeth. This seamless integration ensures your smile appears harmonious and natural, boosting your confidence and self-esteem. And what’s more, the stability and secure fit of dental implants allow you to speak, laugh, and eat without worrying about slippage or discomfort.
Considerations and Potential Limitations of Dental Implants
- Not Everyone is a good Candidate for Dental Implants: Dental implants offer numerous benefits. But they may not be suitable for you depending on your individual situation. Factors like your overall health, bone density, and gum condition, will determine whether you’re a good candidate for a dental implant in Singapore. A good dentist may not give the green light to proceed with a dental implant if you’re
- Living with a chronic health condition
- A heavy smoker
- Having insufficient jawbone density. However, advancements in dental technology have expanded the pool of eligible candidates. So, speak with your dentist. They can evaluate your specific situation to determine the best course of action.
- Surgical Procedure and Recovery: Dental implant placement involves a surgical procedure. So, it may require a healing period. The process typically involves multiple appointments, including the initial surgery to place the implant and a subsequent appointment to attach the artificial tooth. While advancements in dental techniques have made the procedure relatively comfortable and efficient, it is essential to consider the recovery period. Also, be sure to follow your dentist’s instructions for successful healing.
- Cost Considerations: Unlike other dental restoration procedures, dental implants may have higher upfront costs. But it is still essential to recognize that dental implants are a long-term investment in oral health and overall well-being. While the initial expense may be higher, the durability and longevity of implants can outweigh the need for frequent replacements or repairs associated with other alternatives.
It’s a Wrap!
Saving a natural tooth is generally preferred. But, dental implants can provide an excellent solution for individuals with severely damaged or missing teeth. So, going by the advantages and limitations discussed, dental implants are worth it. Talk with a knowledgeable dentist to help you make an informed decision that will benefit your oral health and improve your quality of life.
Don’t let damaged teeth lower your quality of life. Connect with a professional and regain your smile’s full potential. Schedule a consultation at An Dental today and discover how dental implants can transform oral health and confidence! Call or Visit us at:
An Dental – Orchard Dentist | Dental Implant | Wisdom Tooth Extraction | Kids Dentistry Singapore
360 Orchard Rd,
#03-06/07 International Building,
+65 6513 9549